top of page
Landscape and horticulture technicians and specialists Managers in agriculture (1).png

Spousal open work permit 

Spouses and common-law partners being sponsored through the Inland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship Category of the Family Class can be granted an open work permit while the application for permanent residence is being processed.  This allows the Spouse/Common-law partner to work in any job while waiting for a permanent residence application to be processed.

Spouse/Common-law of Temporary Foreign Worker

The spouse or common-law partner of a foreign temporary worker must demonstrate that:

  • The principal temporary foreign worker has employment in Canada that is at a management level a job in a professional occupation, or as a technical or skilled tradesperson. In other words, the skill level of the principal temporary foreign worker’s job must be level 0, A, or B, according to the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This skill level requirement does not apply to principal temporary foreign workers who have been nominated for permanent residence by a province (provincial nominees).

  • The principal temporary foreign worker is permitted to work in Canada for a period of at least six months.

Spouse/Common-law partner of Foreign Student

To be eligible for an Open Work Permit, the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student cannot themselves be full-time students and must demonstrate that:

  • the foreign student is studying full-time at a diploma/degree-granting, publicly-funded post-secondary educational facility; or

  • the foreign student has graduated and is the holder of a valid work permit for a job related to his or her studies.

For spouses and common-law partners, open work permits are generally issued with a validity date that coincides with the period of time that their spouse is permitted to work or study in Canada, as the case may be.

bottom of page